Zhoug Roasted Aubergines With Chickpeas & Goldenberry Buckwheat Salad
- Olive oil
- 2 medium aubergines
- 2 tbsp zhoug paste
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 100g buckwheat
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 100g dried goldenberries
- 40g pumpkin seeds
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 4 tbsp coconut or almond yoghurt
A richly flavoured, light yet hearty vegan and gluten-free dinner or lunch that is packed with fresh vegetables, wholesome grains and colour. Juicy tender roasted aubergine, crunchy protein-packed chickpeas and chewy zingy goldenberries make for a feast for the senses. A quick and easy meal option that works well both warm and cold – save leftovers for lunch the next day.
The amplified flavour of a gentle roast in the oven is next to none – it truly shows the magic of fresh produce. They turn wonderfully rich in flavour especially roasted aubergines that we’ve used here.
- Preheat the oven to 180Fan/200*C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways and score the flesh. Arrange on one tray, face up and smother with the zhoug paste and 1 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Pat the chickpeas dry, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, the arrowroot powder, ground cumin and some salt and black pepper. Roast on the second tray for 20-30 minutes until crispy, turning over halfway through. Drizzle the tomatoes in a little olive oil and some salt and black pepper and roast on the tray for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the buckwheat according to packet instructions, drain and leave to one side. Stir through the sliced spring onion, fresh parsley, goldenberries and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve the roasted aubergines on top of the buckwheat salad, topped with roasted crunchy chickpeas, the tomatoes, pomegranate and yoghurt and some extra goldenberries and seeds.